Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Oz: The Great and Powerful Review



My beautiful cousin Carrie and I decided to have a girls date night and see no other than the very very handsome James Franco. Whom we'd both decided that he's on our "I'd leave _____ for:" list, haha. Not only did we indulge in some eye candy, we also overdid it on the calories.


Lets start with the basic storyline:


Oscar or Oz (James Franco), a carnival magician, is a amorous guy who desires to be something great in life and not settle. A tornado randomly rips through the area which the carnival is stationed and Oscar hops into a hot air balloon and is whirled away to the Land of Oz. When he lands he meets Theodora (Played by Mila Kunis), who tells him that he is the wizard from a prophecy, and that he is to stop the evil witch, save the people and become the King of the Emerald City. Oz doesn't believe that he's a wizard simply because he is a con man, but greed sets in and he decides to play along with "wizard" business. 



I don't want to spoil too much of the story, so I'm going to list the pros and cons of the movie. 

Pros:
1. I loved the transition from black & white to color like in the original. 
2. The musical score was simply amazing.
3. Mila Kunis transitioned her character very well, prosthetics and all. 
4. I like the parallels that were made from beginning to end. 
5. The minor (supporting) roles were my favorite, like Finley and the China Girl.
6. It made a great prequel to the Original Wizard of Oz film. 



Cons:
1. Although I love James Franco, sometimes he seemed a bit off.
2. Some scenes were shot for 3D which threw off the movie a bit, in my eyes. 
3. I think the film could have been more serious. It seemed like a big spoof or parody at times. 
4. There were some "1st person RollerCoaster" shots that were just irritating. 
5. Weirdly, I feel that Glinda could have been cast better. 



Overall I feel like this movie was a 3.5/5 stars. I definitely recommend seeing it. I'm still iffy on where I stand with the film overall to how it will sit in the film history. 

Have you seen Oz: The Great and Powerful yet?! How did you like it?





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for such a thorough review! I've definitely been curious about this film, so this definitely gives me a better idea of what to expect :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The film is a visual marvel, i felt like i was in heaven while watching the breathtaking scenes . it takes your imagination to unexplored depths. Brilliant use of technology.

    ReplyDelete